Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Good Carbs & Bad Carbs

For a couple of years now, I have been focusing on “good carbs and bad carbs”—mostly removing them from my life in hopes that they will remove the little extra ‘muffin top’ around my middle! For example, I LOVE white rice (it’s in my genes), but I have become a fan of brown rice and crushed steamed cauliflower—which, if you don’t look too closely, can double for mushy white rice. My mom, who is the connoisseur of rice making, begs to differ with my comparison of the two. In her mind, cauliflower will never be Japanese white rice—Chinese white rice, maybe, but never Japanese…

My anti-carb campaign has been successful to the point that I have even indoctrinated my kids! Sandwiches with whole grains, whole wheat French Toast etc. etc. But it came to bite me in the ‘muffin top’ during the Jake’s church class on Sunday. The children’s class leader—who is also a good friend-- was teaching a lesson on things we can eat that will make our bodies healthy or unhealthy. Kids would come up to the front of the room, pick a card with a picture of food or drink on it, and tell the class whether it was good or bad for your bodies. First few kids go up and it goes something like this… “Peaches?”—Good for you! “Eggs”---Good for you! “Cigarettes?”—Bad for you! So then a little boy goes up to draw a card and low and behold, he draws a picture of freshly baked dinner rolls—white dinner rolls. Jake says “Rolls—These are Bad for you! Because of all of the bad carbs in white bread! You shouldn’t eat these.” All of the kids were laughing at him...He had no clue what was so funny.

So today, I offered a concession to my children who have been deprived of eating PB&J’s on soft, fluffy Wonder Bread or burritos made with flour tortillas. I baked white rolls for them for their after school snack—and they ate every last one!




And yes, I cheated—I too ate a roll and I LOVED EVERY BITE.

Long live the muffin top...

7 comments:

  1. Susan don't worry my kids don't get PB and J on fluffy white bread either. Good to see Jake is not totally deprived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny! You don't deprive your kids...you just look out for their health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Aunt Cheesa~
    Ha ha! That fluffy white stuff is crap but it's awesome you gave Jake a taste anyway! And how dare you even suggest that cauliflower is equal to rice in it's purest form-Japanese sticky rice! PS I was told to ask you what ever happened to your prune & raisin undies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimbra:
    Who told you about my little underwear secret?!! You know how girls shower together in gym class in Junior High? My mom bought these underwear for me and my friends were looking at my underwear one day--Who knows why..actually I don't want to know why--but they realized that there was a little Raisin Man and a Prune Guy printed on them (Obviously something from the Clearance rack)...Name your source and I am sure I can dig up some good "dirt" on them! And "Chisa"? I haven't heard that in YEARS!! Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post made me laugh. Thanks for sharing...I love "bad carbs." I need your will power.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got this info in the most bizzare way. I was working & Samuel Stith came in. We were chatting about random things & he mentioned that he went was in Orem High's 1984 graduating class. I was completely floored that you were pretty good friends in high school & that we just happened to figure that out! AND that you went to a bbq & met up with him while you were here in July. He also said that everyone tried to get Grandma to say 'peanut butter' :) He said to tell you 'hi'! Kind of weird & what a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been a fan of white bread and rice, I would choose that any day over wheat and whole grain! Jake is too cute, kids really do pick up on everything!

    ReplyDelete