Friday, October 2, 2009

Family Pictures

I just got some photos back and I wanted to share! This past July, my mom, my brother and sisters all got together after too many years apart! It was very fun! Because our gatherings are unpredictable, I had a friend and talented photographer, Gayle Vehar, take our pictures.



Orimi (wearing blue) is my oldest sis. She is a veteran school teacher (30+ years?) who runs a tight ship in her classroom. I've visited her class a few times and have been very impressed! She must practice yoga on her ride from school to home, because she morphs into a calm and laid-back mom. I would have to say her greatest love is her fluffy white dog, Shanden.

Linda (pictured in black) is the "middle child"--which describes her perfectly! She is always in the middle of fun and mischief. My favorite Linda story was when we were in Japan. Our Japanese grandma LOVED cotton-candy! She ate it for breakfast every morning. One morning we put actual cotton-balls in her cotton candy and watched her chew and chew and chew. After tears of laughter, we (in very broken Japanese), helped her spit out the cotton. There's always a good time when Linda is around.

In the picture, my brother David is wearing the only polo shirt he owns. He was a good sport to take this picture because I know it is way out of his "comfort zone". Dave is a t-shirt and jeans kind of a guy. He is the best brother I could have--kind, hardworking, and a great uncle to my kids. He can grow anything and he can fix anything. A true handyman.

My mom is the matriarch of our family. She is 81, but looks 70! (that doesn't read right, but it is meant to be a compliment!) My mom raised her kids mostly as a single mom and is a very determined and hardworking person. It was unique growing up with a Japanese mom--for "Show and Tell" one year, I told my class that my mom could flip an egg with chopsticks. EVERYONE was impressed.

So there you go! This is my family...I love them and miss them!
PS: Gayle Vehar is a fabulous photographer. If you are in Utah and need a great photographer, Gayle's your gal. Visit her website and blog: gayleveharphotography.com

3 comments:

  1. I have met your mom - so fun to see the rest of your family. You and your teacher sister look a lot alike! I love the picture of you and scott! Just think...Kansas City would put you half-way closer to your mom!!! Sound enticing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so fun to put you with your family. How fun to all be together. I agree with Valerie, that picutre of you and Scott is really good. I think you've inherited the young looking genes from your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it so awesome to have those? You will look back and be so glad you did that while you were here! I love the one of you and Scott! Really, Really Nice!

    ReplyDelete