Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Kid Pix

I've been working on a little scrapbooking project for my sister’s family. And while I was in Utah a couple of weeks ago, I went through a few of my Mom’s pictures to include in this scrapbook. It took me a while to go through everything, but it was fun to go back in time... I think my Mom has saved every picture, school paper, and art project she received from her kids and grandkids throughout the years. Maybe that’s part of the fun of going back home—so many things are EXACTLY the same way they were when you left. In some ways it is like you never left home… and for my Mom she seems really “o.k.” about keeping it that way!

So as I was searching for pictures, I came across these few that caught my attention. I now see that some things never change and other things will never be the same…

This is Carly when she was probably five...and this is why she earned her nickname “Mop Top”—she had this crazy, curly, long hair--but she liked it that way and we kept it! This picture is what I remember of her as a little girl--always smiling, usually with a ring of chocolate around her mouth--chocolate was her 5th food group. No chocolate here, but the hair, the smile, the jacket is vintage Carly. These days she would rather die than leave the house with curly hair and she is up at 5:15 a.m. every morning to make sure it doesn't happen.

Here is Josh hugging Carly—one of those things that are not quite the same these days. I need to show Josh this picture as I think he has forgotten completely how to give people hugs. I look at this picture and I think he really seems to be sincerely giving her an “I Love You” kind of hug. These days, Josh just kind of bumps my shoulder as a hug—almost like a mini body slam. Scott tries to coach him and give him hugging lessons--you can imagine how excited Josh is about that... Obviously hugging your mom is part of the “I’m kind of embarrassed to know you ” phase.
These last two made me laugh out loud. Check out Zach and Josh in their argyle and stripes… and the last is Josh (as a blonde) when we lived in California. Look at that bulging belly and diaper bottom—Funny, eh...the only time this shape is en vogue is when your two... Oh, I miss our “beach days”!
So...moral of my post? Hug those little ones while they still hug you back and no matter how hip you think you dress your kids, they will someday laugh at your fashion choices!


8 comments:

  1. Those are some wonderful pictures!! LOVE the one of Carly! What a fun treasure to discover. Sometimes it is good to be "keeper."

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were so great! I love the old fashion choices and I love how each of their little faces were just miniature versions of their faces now. Cute cute cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan,

    Thanks for the comment on my blog. It was great to hear from you and your kids are getting so old. I was excited when Heather told me she ran into you at the BYU game. Seeing your boys in this post is exactly how I remember them. In just a few days I will have two boys of my own, crazy! If you ever come this way let us know. It would be fun to get together. All is well in California. Keep coming back to my blog and I will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when my kids were babies and we were with Nathan's older neices and nephews, I always wanted to know what my kids would look like as older people. Looking back it is funny to see that they always had that look about them. Your kids are still too cute. I can't wait for hugging lessons...oh the things to look forward to.
    Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such cute pictures of your kids. Love them! My Mom keeps everything too, but when we look thru them, we get threatened if we even think of taking any of the pictures. I probably don't have a long time until the hugging is embarrassing. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! Good post; just the kind of reminder I need...about once a week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pictures are priceless!! Blink your eyes and they are leaving home, you are exactly right.
    Siblings really do miss each other, even though they don't act like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the pictures! I think they look very much the same, just a lot littler in those photos! I love Carly's hair in the picture, she should definitely wear her hair curly-- at least some of the time. Curls are beautiful! Such darling pictures. I'll have to remember your comment about enjoying the hugs of little ones while they still hug, especially as I'm up all throughout the night with them! :-)

    ReplyDelete