Friday, July 3, 2009

Zach's Graduation

Dad, Carly, Brett, Zach, Mom, Jake, Sarah, Josh
Lake High School Graduation, June 6, 2009, Canton Civic Center
It is an interesting time of life. I am only a few weeks away from my first child leaving home to head off to BYU. I have thought about this day for over a year. Most days my heart and my head can hardly believe that he is old enough to go. I wonder where the time has gone—it seems like just a blink. I used to hear my “older” friends say, “Enjoy this time with your little ones… it goes so quickly!” And I can really and truly tell you now… that yes, it goes way too quickly.
Zach at 3 months, Ojai, California
Zach at 5--he LOVED suspenders!! I love Zach. From the get go, he was a hand-full. So, so busy and mischievous. Constant questions, never walking, temper tantrums. He was my first and so I thought all kids were that way. So I planned only to have two. And then I had Josh and he was so different!! But somewhere along the way, Zach’s busy-ness morphed into happiness, creativity, and leadership, which have been such admirable traits.

As a child he was so curious and so comfortable talking to everybody and anybody. But, he was also a master tattle-taler. Mrs. Munroe, his third grade teacher, even created a “tattle-tale” mailbox and told him that if he needed to tattle, he would need to write his tattle out and she would collect mail at the end of the day. She thought this would solve his tattle habit. On the first day, she opened the box to find a three tattle slips from Zach. We still laugh about this today!


Partners in a love-hate relationship
"A Love Moment"
"Conehead" at Carly's 5th Barbie Birthday Party
"Albert Einstein" Nido de Aguilas, Santiago


Christmas 1998--Spokane, Washington


Baptism Day--Spokane, Washington 1999

His mind and his hands have built some great projects—a toy cart with wheels, spray paint art, garden boxes, a duck pen, a tissue paper hot air balloon. He has put together many Christmas bikes and toys for me. (Thanks, Zach.) He is the musician I always hoped he would be. I pushed piano, he hated the piano. He wanted to play the cello. And so he became a wonderful cellist. I love to listen to him and I will miss the mellow sounds of the cello coming from his room late at night. Soccer has also been a huge part of his life. He has played since he was 5 and he has been such a fun player to watch. We will miss seeing him on the field. I will also miss his cooking—we have been the lucky recipients of his tasty creations. He makes a to-die-for banana cream crepe—they are especially good late at night!

Soccer--Lake High School
CCarly told us to "smile big"--this is what I got! What a ham!

I know Zach will love college and love the chance to spread his wings. It is his time. I think letting go is a tiny bit easier knowing that he will be surrounded by family and find friends that value the good things in life. Sometimes it’s tough living away from family, and in a small way, I feel like he is “going home”. So for those reasons, life is good. Probably for reasons only Mom’s can understand, I’m a little sad for me and a little anxious—hoping that I have taught him all he needs to know, hoping that he studies hard, fits in, is a good roommate, keeps the faith, changes his sheets, eats healthy, and last but not least…misses home!

We will miss him. He adds a spark to our lives.
We will look forward to his calls, his texts, and his time to come home.
Congratuations and we love you Zach!

Graduation Day, June 6, 2009

6 comments:

  1. Love this post!
    Congratulations Zach. We are excited for your new chapter in life.
    Susan - I am so glad you go through these stages first. I do not look forward to it! I love the stage we're in. I love hearing your insights on mothering. I have tucked away lots of thoughts you have shared through the years. I think you are an amazing mom. (you're in my to 10 list of best moms I know!!:)
    Once you told me to create oppurtunities for your kids to make choices and experience consequences, so when they do leave to be out in the big world they have already had some practice! Love that.
    Miss you guys! You are a great family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Zach! What an exciting time of your life. Continue to work hard, and you will achieve great things. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Hard to believe that Zach has graduated. Your post is beautiful and I'm sure that Zach will LOVE some of the photos you put in there. You are a great Mom and he is lucky to have been taught by, inspired by and loved by you. I know you'll miss him, but it is another chapter in our lives. Congrats to Zach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post. I remember the first time I saw your whole family at church and knew you guys would be amazing...I was right. I used to think time really didn't pass by quickly but I've come to realize that it does. I agree with Valerie...I'm loving the stage we are in right now but so glad to have friends blaze the way for me. You are an incredible mom, Susan and I am so glad I can call you my friend. Zach is just one of your amazing children and I look forward to hearing about his adventures as he enters the next chapter. Thanks for sharing and congrats to Zach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is a cliché and makes me feel and sound like an old lady but it's truly hard to believe that Zach is old enough to go to college! I remember when he was that adorable little boy with so much energy & it's good to see that he's turned out to be such a smart, good looking guy! I absolutely love the photo of Zach hugging Josh when they were little with the orange umbrella in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading about Zach and seeing all the pictures! I had no idea he had died his hair for soccer, looks awesome! Must have been before we came.. Reading about the hard times during those toddler years, gives me hope with little Caleb. :-) What a fantastic and exciting time for him. You are an amazing family, we miss you!

    ReplyDelete