Thursday, March 12, 2009

"Firsts"


This is my first attempt at creating a blog! Although I am inching toward middle age (Scott thinks I've arrived), I am experiencing a lot of "firsts" in my life right now-- My first blog, my first son graduating from high school--he will then be my first child in college, my first exposure to teenage girl drama, my first year teaching experience. This is a really great time of life! Whoever said that having teenagers was a drag was so wrong! (Oh, and I should say that having a 9 year-old is pretty amazing too!)

I love being a mom to four kids.
I love having teenagers!
I love having the energy of their friends and activities in our home.
I love our conversations--we talk about dating, politics, sports, science--all the good stuff!
I love hearing their fresh perspectives--it makes me think about my own perspective.
I love hearing about their plans for the future.
I love watching them play sports and instruments!
I love their sense of humor--Jake has us in stitches--CONSTANTLY. I am convinced he should do stand-up.
Most of all I love them because they have become my good friends...

We live in Uniontown, Ohio--neighboring a Mennonite community. It is truly mid-America, and home to some really down-to-earth people. Ohio is a great place. The kids get their hair cut with Barry at the Uniontown Barbershop. I always think about how Hollywood spends millions of dollars trying to portray life in a small town--when all they really need to do is bring a camera to Uniontown, Ohio and go to the barbershop, sit, and film Barry and barbers talking about the upcoming Lion's Festival or when to plant crops or the price of gas. We regularly see the Mennonite and Amish around town--Life is just a little bit slower here and, for the most part, we like it. Scott works for Diebold and I teach at the University of Akron. Our kids, Zach, Josh, Carly, and Jake are involved in soccer, track, scouts, and music. They are the busiest kids we know.

This blog is dedicated to our family and friends (who have become "family") who live far away. We hope this helps us to stay connected.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Susan! Thanks for sending your blog address. I love blogging! I use it as a journal and then get it printed into a book each year. This will be a great way for us to keep up on your family. I can't believe how big the kids are! Tell everyone hi for us. Our blog is brenay.blogspot.com

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright Aunt Susan!! You finally made a blog and it looks completely fabulous! This will be a great way for our family to be able to glimpse into the lives of your family!! We missed you at Marley's first birthday party, but hopefully sometime soon we can meet up again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see your blog -- thanks so much for sharing it with us -- it's a great way to stay in touch and see what's up with your family -- Jane W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I am so glad your doing this! We miss you guys so much and this is a great way to stay up with each other. As Crystal said above, your kids are so grown up! I called my kiddos in here to show them your picture and they thought it was cool that they have more "cousins" :) Ky thinks that him and Jake need to hang out! :) He's 9 too. I think that you have it but my blog is www.kjkabm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first nephew comments on your fist blog!

    Zach- nice purple shirt, you must be very confident :)

    Carly- are those cornrows?

    Josh- are you taller than Zach?

    Jake- do you still eat yogurt in the car?

    Scott and Susan- you have a great family!

    Thanks for the post, it's a great way to stay in touch (even though we're so close yet so far).

    Risa says hi and thanks for the Eric Clapton song- it's in the soundtrack to Phenomenon, one of her favorite movies.

    Keep the posts coming and we'll keep reading.

    Lots of love,
    Jason & Risa

    ReplyDelete
  6. YIPEE!!!!! I am so excited to see your beautiful family - one of my Favorite families! I am sitting with Christine Barbour right now in sunny California reading your blog for the first time! We love it! We are going to get a barbour family blog started tonight. We both love and miss you guys - keep the posts coming!!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing makes Kyle more proud than to hear another kid is going to his beloved BYU!!!! Way to go Zach! He will have a great time. And Provo is warmer. It's great to hear from you guys. Susan are you still RS President? I thought you lived in Canton, this is the first I've heard of Uniontown!!!Thanks for the blog, I'm almost converted and if Dallas was ever home I might actually make one.
    Love to all,
    Sharlet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jason- yes those are cornrows!!!!! We went to Jamaica over Christmas break and my present was getting my hair done!!! The were sweet while they lasted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've truly jumped right in with your background, music and intro. Mine is not so organized, I am easily sucked in and I can see me spending too much time on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Hunters! So good to see all of you. I laugh and laugh, Susan, when I recall or tell of the time we went to rehearsal and Carly was asleep in the back of your car . . . it's a wonderful mom memory for me! Too funny. We are well. Jake and I are in Portland, OR checking out colleges. Getting away from swine flu quarantine in good old Mexico. We head back on Monday. Love to you and all of yours! Great photo of Scott in college . . . . most things do improve with age, yes????? jajajajajaja

    ReplyDelete